Saturday, October 22, 2011

Mama Grizzly Take 2

Andy and I were watching TV last Friday night when I saw a large spider scurry across the floor.  After a brief panic, we leaped up, turned on the light and tried to find it to no avail.  That spider has been in the back of my mind ever since, prompting me to ask our agent about pest control and installing some weather stripping under the door that leads from the garage to our house (which I'm 99.9% sure is how the spider got into our house.)  But its been over a week since the sighting so I'd almost forgotten about the whole thing. Until a few minutes ago when it crawled right back into my consciousness. . .
Well, there was no way I was going to let that spider stay in my house another day.  I gathered what I felt were essential supplies - my iphone (in case it bit me and we needed to ID it), the largest tupperware container and lid i could find (guess i was thinking of letting it live at this point), a metal spatula (needed the distance and a way to kill it if necessary), a copy of the FT (you never know) and a colander (no idea.)  Oh, and I opened the front door, too.

Here is the end result: 

And, yes, this story is eerily similar to the time in Austin when the snake crawled into our house.  (Another time when Andy just happened to be out of town.)   And both stories just go to show you that there is nothing more powerful than a mother's instinct to protect her young. The spider put up a good fight (sorry about the collateral damage to your office, andy) but it was no match for me and my spatula. 

So, to all you venomous spiders and snakes lurking in the wilds of Australia:   Don't Mess with Mom! 

1 comment: