Sunday, February 26, 2012

It's The Hard Knock Life

Sophia and I went to see the musical "Annie" yesterday. (Her adorable friend Issie rode with us.)  Hard to say who loved it more but it was probably me.  I've always had a special affinity for Annie - not because I grew up as a poor orphan but because I had a terrible mop of short red curly hair.  I was called Annie a lot - and not in a good way either - but that didn't keep me from dreaming I could sing like her. 
Sophia and our neighbor Issie with their "Annie" purchases   
I remember going to see the touring production when it was in Kansas City and I couldn't have been much older than Sophia is now.   When I asked her which part she liked the best she answered "all of it" but later admitted that she liked Sandy the best.  (Of course!)  She also had some really great questions - How did Daddy Warbucks know about Sandy? Why were those people going to get money for taking Annie and Daddy Warbucks didn't?  Was President Roosevelt real and why was he in a wheelchair?  Did all of those other girls go to live with Annie, too?  Of course, the song "It's the hard knock life" opens up an entire can of worms but it would be hard to come up with a better opening for talking about the harsh realities some children face.  I suppose the message was somewhat overshadowed by the fact that I allowed us  to fall prey to the Annie marketing machine.  She was shocked to learn that they didn't sell "Sandy" stuffed animals when I went to see the show with my mom.  But at least she promised to carry on the family tradition:  "When I have a little girl, I'll take her to see Annie and you can come with us.  And Grandma, too." 

No comments:

Post a Comment